Sunday, June 12, 2011

Is it bad to not have car if I plan to going to college in San Francisco?


Is it bad to not have car if I plan to going to college in San Francisco?
As everyone knows California is definitely a car state and is hard to get around without on. Well anyways I want to go to school is San Francisco. Its only two hours from my home, so no long commutes on holidays. I love the city and the weather, and the campuses on all the schools are amazing. But the thing is San Francisco is a massive city and I highly doubt I'll have car when I go there, I'm currently a junior in HS. Do you think it will be hard attending a school in San Francisco is you don't have car? I mean I don't want to stay trapped in my dorm or apartment, I want to explore the city. But I won't have a car to do so =P
San Francisco - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If your objective is just to get around the city while at college, there really is no reason to have a car. Public transportation is more then enough available to do so. However, if you are in need of getting out of the city more than likely as you stated a car would be advised.
2 :
I've lived for over 10 years without a car very well in SF. When I need to get out of The City I simply rent a car. San Francisco is not a massive city by any means, 7x7 square miles, much smaller even than the Island of Manhattan. You don't really need a car in The City, there are lots of public transportation options [BART, buses, trolleys, light rail and even cable cars]. In addition, SF is very bike friendly [except for the hills] with lots of bike lanes and access to south, east and north via public transportation that will allow you to bring your bike along. There are also a couple of car share programs available so if you don't want to own a car but need one once or twice a week you try one of them. The only think that might trap you at home is the amount of homework you have to do for school.
3 :
Check public transportation and very possible you may have friends there who will drive & help you.
4 :
you don;t really need a car, since you make some friends -they will drive you around.
5 :
no, you don't really need a car if you are going to college in SF. If you really need one for a day or 2, you can try city car share :) no too expensive and it's convenient
6 :
San Francisco has the best public transportation network west of Chicago. And the city is sufficiently compact that it would fit inside Detroit. Of course, if you have the desire to sometimes get away from the city, a car would be nice.

Popular Posts